Thursday 6 June 2013

Airlie Beach

I arrived in Airlie Beach at 7.30 am on the 24th of May. Rens, Dylan, Stephan, Rupert and I were all on the same bus so we walked to the hostel "Beaches" together (though Rupert went further to another hostel) and all ended up in the same room, with one new Dutch girl called Kristel.


First thing we did was sleep until 12 noon and then we did the 30 minute scenic walk to Coles, as the only other supermarket in town was ridiculously expensive.



Airlie Beach is my favorite town so far, it's a harbor town and is just so beautiful. It also had really really good weather during my whole stay so that might help...The higher up I go, the more I like Australia and I am starting to really want to come back one day and explore the rest of this vast country.



After lunch, we joined Marianne, Mike and Yellen at the Lagoon (you can't swim in the ocean at Airlie because of the dangerous jelly fish), this place was also really pretty but has extremely cold water!


That night we all enjoyed a big BBQ next to the beach before heading to a few of the local bars. Despite it's small size (only one main street) Airlie has quiet a few bars and clubs, most of which have free entry, which of course was a plus ;)

The next day started early for me as I had to check out again. I did some window shopping and around lunch time I bumped into Buster sitting outside of McDonalds and soon enough Charlie, Henry and Guy joined us. I don't think I can go anywhere anymore without seeing them!

Laughing Kookaburra

Half way through their meal, we got attacked twice by local Australian birds (Laughing Kookaburra), one flew out of no where and grabbed Guy's chicken nugget while the other came later on, sat on Henry's table space, looked at him and then stole a couple of chips before flying off again. It was hilarious and scary at the same time.

Charlie tempting fate by placing food on his head

Then it was time for me to go to the harbour and catch my boat tour around the Whitsundays!
Lucy xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment